Every day accidents happen. People are texting, putting on make-up, talking on the phone, eating a snack (or a meal), changing the radio station… you get the idea. Accidents often happen because of distracted driving. But, long before accidents happen, many people make one giant accident-prone mistake: no seat belt.
As Dallas legal couriers who make legal deliveries throughout DFW, we like rules. We have to admit it. We like laws and regulations – mostly because they are for our own benefit. Enter, the seat belt. Did you know the following:
- Seatbelts are to prevent you from moving in your seat. Duh. They are all about protecting you. But… they didn’t always exist!
- Seatbelts absorb energy by expanding and stretching when an impact occurs. That means less danger for your body!
- There are three basic seatbelt types:
- 1. Lap – the lap belt is generally seen in airplanes and used to always be seen in the ‘middle seat’ in older Suburbans.
- 2. Sash – Just what it sounds like- across the body like a sash but not over the lap.
- 3. BIS (Belt-in-Seat) – these are the classic seatbelts we know and love today. They were first used by Mercedes in 1990.
- Seatbelts were invented by George Cayley in the 19th century. He was an engineer from England who not only invented seatbelts but also was a pioneer in aeronautics. Our legal couriers in Dallas love this guy!
- The first patent went through February 10, 1885.
- In 1949, car manufacturers in the U.S. had seatbelts as an option to add to your car. Call me crazy, but that’s not very long ago!
- Automatic seatbelts. Just thinking about these beauties makes me laugh out loud! Oh the 80s and 90s. You were a beautiful time. Gotta love shutting that door and the seatbelt rolling up the side to lock you in. Now, that’s a guaranteed way to get people to wear the safety straps! Of course, it was discovered that these were not the most protective, which probably explains why you don’t see them anymore.
Today, Texas enforcers seatbelt wearing pretty strictly. It’s called the Click It or Ticket campaign and if you didn’t get this from reading the name, you get a ticket for not wearing your belt. Oh, and you can get a ticket if your passengers don’t wear their seatbelts. You are responsible! So be sure to check your crew before driving off. Otherwise, your neck is on the line. Join your legal couriers Dallas in keeping our DFW roads super safe – buckle up, folks!